Wednesday 20 April 2011

Barriers breaking down.

     The Express arrived at Belgrade at a quarter to nine. It was due to depart at 9:15, so I decided to go out on the platform to stretch my legs. I spoke to the conductor who was stamping his feet and doing everything he could to keep himself warm. It was indeed freezing. He informed me that my baggage has been moved to compartment No. 1, which was Mr. Bouc's compartment. He told me that he moved to the coach from Athens, where his only companion would be a Greek doctor. Mr. Bouc informed me of the weather reports. There has not been so much snow here for years. I hope we won't run into a snow drift. That would be most awful, as we could be stuck in it for days, but let's be optimistic. I said goodbye to my friend and walked along the corridor to my compartment, which was in front of the dining-car.
     The people got more chatty. As I was walking down the corridor, I passed Arbuthnot standing in his door talking to MacQueen. The latter seemed very surprised when he spotted me. He thought I was getting off the train at Belgrade. After I clarified the situation to him I passed down the corridor. Two doors from my compartment the elderly American lady, Mrs. Hubbard was talking to the Swedish lady about aspirin, headaches and the cold. The Swedish woman departed, and there was only I and Mrs. Hubbard left. She was speaking to me about something I don't quite recall, (my, that lady cannot keep her mouth shut for more than five seconds) as Ratchett's servant came out of his compartment. Ratchett glanced at me for a moment. I could see the anger on his eyes. Then the door was shut. Mrs. Hubbard drew me aside and said she had a bad feeling about that man. She was afraid of Ratchett. She suspected him to be a murderer, or a train robber of some kind. Was she right? I myself didn't have a nice opinion about him either.
     As Mrs. Hubbard was telling me another tale of her daughter, MacQueen passed us inviting Colonel to his carriage for a chat, as it hasn't been made up for the night yet. I said goodnight to Mrs. Hubbard and left to rest.


The barriers had truly broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment