Wednesday 20 April 2011

The crime.

     It was past nine o'clock. The train was still at standstill and there was snow everywhere around the train. I got dressed and wondered how long will it take for the train to move again. At a quarter to ten I headed to the dining-car. I could hear the laments and complaining from outside. I could clearly hear Mrs. Hubbard's voice. I can't say it surprised me. Everybody was worried, everybody had some urgent business and had to be in the place on time, which seemed quite impossible for me. Miss Debenham asked how long we'll be here with impatience in her voice. But this time there was no sign of the anxiety in it, the same that was there in the Taurus Express. It's like getting on the Orient Express the particular day was the only thing that mattered to her. While the others kept complaining, she seemed to be the only patient one.
     Some time has passed and I remained in the dining-car with the others. Princess Dragomiroff, her maid, the Hungarian couple and Ratchett with his valet were absent. They probably rathered to stay in their compartments accompanied by silence, than listetning to more stories of Mrs. Hubbard's daughter. 
     After a while I was called by Mr. Bouc to his compartment. I had a strange feeling that something bad has occurred, but I tried to keep those thoughts out of my mind. I followed the big, fair Wagon Lit conductor to the carriage. It was fairly spacious. My friend was sitting on a seat opposite to the corner. On the opposite side, facing him sat a small, dark man. Standing in front of me was the chef of the train and my own Wagon Lit conductor. Mr. Bouc welcomed me and I sat on the seat facing him. I looked at my friend's face, and suddenly was sure, that something out of order has occurred. His face was pale as chalk, so I asked what had happened. First, the snow, now, Ratchett was found dead lying in his bed. He was stabbed. 12 times to be precise. We were, in fact in a very difficult position. Passing through the countries we usually had the police of that country aboard, but here, in Yugoslavia... Mr. Bouc introduced me to Dr. Constantine, who had already examined the body. To his opinion, based on medical facts, the death occurred between midnight and 2 a.m.
     I figured, that Ratchett was probably last seen, or rather heard at about 20 minutes to one, but that is the last thing known.


The only way to know something more of the crime, is to search for clues.

No comments:

Post a Comment