Wednesday 20 April 2011

The true identity of Mr. Ratchett.

     I was in need of an old-fashioned hat-box, so I asked the conductor to bring me the Swedish lady's and the lady's maid's hat-box. I needed the wire netting to be able to recover the burnt note from the ash-tray. I flattened the wires and carefully put the charred note onto one of them. Then, I put it over the flame of a spirit-stove. It is an old method of recovering burnt documents, but a pretty good one. The metal began to glow and we began to see words of fire. It was only a tiny scrap, so we could read only three, and a part of a fourth word. It said:
,, -member little Daisy Armstrong. ''
     Both me and Dr. Constantine went to rejoin Mr. Bouc in the dining-car. We had our meal (it is always good to fill up your stomach before you start thinking about something that seems rather impossible) and we cut to the chase. The reason for Ratchett's escape for America became clear clear to me, as soon as I read the burnt note destroyed by the murderer. His true identity was Cassetti.




,, Ah! quel animal! ''

No comments:

Post a Comment